Personal Training For Boomers
Strength, Power, and the Baby Boomer
Baby Boomers, the largest generation in US history, make up nearly 25% of our population…and we are not aging quietly. We have been rejecting the stereotype of ageism and frailty as we continue with our active lives well into older age. We’re able to do this as we’ve realized the importance of maintaining & improving muscular strength & power through resistance training. Remember – we are who started the workout revolution!
Muscular strength and power significantly impact our ability to function with vigor and continue to live life to the fullest.
- Muscular Strength
Adequate strength is necessary to perform daily activities…carrying groceries, mowing the lawn, washing your car…as well as participating in recreational and fitness activities…walking, hiking, carrying your golf clubs. Increased strength also reduces cardiovascular stress.
- Muscular Power
Power is strongly related to activities that require strength with speed…lifting boxes, climbing stairs, getting up from a chair, walking, and preventing falls. Many of our recreational activities are also strongly related to muscle power…bowling, tennis, golf, playing with our grandchildren.
Loss of muscle strength and power leads to declining activity, increased frailty, and functional dependence…which can eventually lead to nursing home admission. Decreased strength & power can cause balance problems, increased risk of falling & fractures, and can also increase the risk of chronic diseases…osteoporosis & diabetes, for example. For us Boomers, it’s never too late to start a well designed, individualized resistance training program.
Resistance training counteracts the age-related decline in muscle mass and strength, improves balance and coordination, and reduces the risk of osteoporosis. Strength training may also reduce insulin resistance and improve blood pressure and blood lipids.
Getting together with an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer to learn correct resistance training techniques/exercises, implementing correct form (a must in order to avoid injuries), and to get that individualized resistance training program is a good idea! Instead of sitting in a chair watching life go by, we can meet life’s challenges head on…by becoming stronger and more powerful through resistance training.
A wake-up call may be realizing that lack of fitness prevents you from engaging fully in normal life activities. Consider the following questions:
- Do you find yourself breathless going up a short flight of stairs?
- Do you avoid social or recreational situations that may involve physical activity?
- Are you unable to keep up with peers in recreational activities or sport competitions?
- Are you unable to lift a full bag of groceries from your vehicle?
- Do you struggle to hold your child or grandchild?
- Are you limited in your recreational pursuits by a lack of strength?
- Are you unable to reach over your shoulder to fasten a zipper?
- Do you find it difficult to look behind you to check for traffic when driving?
- Do you have to modify your movements to compensate for limited joint mobility?
- Do you find yourself unsteady when moving quickly from one position to another?
- Are you prone to falling?
- Do you feel unhappy with your appearance because of weight gain?
Did you answer “yes” to more than 2 of the above questions? If you are ready to learn more about how to improve your fitness and health…let’s talk!
Ready To Take The Plunge And Get Started?
Great!! You can use the appointment scheduling & booking calendar on the main page. Let’s get to it!
Physiques Unlimited, LLC
Steve Behrens, ACSM-CPT
Licensed – Insured – CPR/AED Certified
Palm City, Florida
Call or Text me: 772-233-2170
See below for more ways to reach me!